Friday, October 21, 2011 Haloween Countdown: 'Salem's Lot




After taking last year off, I'm resurrecting the Halloween Countdown. Over the next ten days I will be sharing some treats that I hope will keep the eggs off my windows and the TP off my front lawn. First up is a BBC Radio dramatization of the Stephen King classic, Salem's Lot.

Salem's Lot was the first King novel I read and I think it still ranks as his best work. The book has been adapted for television twice, first as a fondly-remembered CBS mini-series directed by Tobe Hooper in 1979, and later as a rather lackluster TNT production in 2004. In 1995, the BBC sunk their teeth into the yarn and created the radio drama I'm sharing tonight.

While the production is up to the BBC's usual high standards, I'm afraid the audio quality is not. These mp3's date back to the dawn of the internet, when OTR fans ripped programs at shockingly low bitrates to conserve precious, precious RAM. Still, this version of Salem's Lot is well worth a listen for fans of vampires, Stephen King, and/or 64kb recordings.

Salem's Lot (BBC 1995)
64kb   7 Episodes   92mb

Prints of Rodolfo Reye's poster can be purchased at this link.

0 comments: