Monday, October 10, 2011 More Barsoomian Goodness

Bleeding Cool has posted some photos of props and dioramas on display at a media event to promote the upcoming John Carter film this past weekend.  There's images of weapons and other kit at the link above, but the creature designs are what captured my interest.


The Tharks are pretty badass.


White apes have typically been depicted as giant albino gorillas, so this design is kind of jarring.  I like it, however, as it looks like an alien beast rather than just an Earth simian painted white.  It also looks like it belongs to the same taxonomic family as the green martians, in the same way that the great apes are related to us.


I know they gotta sell toys, but this is a bit too cutsey for my tastes.  Hopefully it's supposed to be only a puppy and not a full-grown calot.

I am really looking forward to John Carter, even more so than The Avengers.  I'm a huge Barsoom fan and everything I've seen so far convinces me the folks working on the film are as well.

0 comments: