Saturday, July 25, 2009 The Awesomeness of the Music Played Havoc with the Focus

I was supposed to go out last night, but everyone canceled. And I'm supposed to catch a friend's gig tomorrow night, but it looks like I won't make it 'cuz I can't find anyone to go with. And I'm still out of work, despite another friend's efforts to hook me up. And I'm out of my placebo cure for depression, and I can feel the misery building and roiling like storm clouds in the distance.

Time to get drunk.

I'm not having any pity party, though. I realize that almost all of my troubles are my own damn fault. I just need a little booze to help choke down the irony.

Thus, the theme song for tonight's alcoholic excess should be both jaunty and jaundiced. The random mode on my mp3 player has obliged, pulling up a miserable little tune that also perfectly describes every weekend of my youth - the Jazz Butcher's "Partytime". Here's a clip of band playing the tune for a bunch of inattentive Belgians:



And hey! I found the lyrics! If you'll excuse me, it's time to put on my headphones and annoy the neighbors.
This is partytime
And we're all having so much fun
This is partytime
I could look at all the girls that are in this room
This is partytime
I could think of what would happen if one took me home
This is partytime
I think I'll have another of those

You always act so stupid
You always talk so dumb
But this is partytime
And you've got to say its better than a war
This is partytime
And its better than a cold bath with someone you dislike
This is partytime
And its good to drink for free when you haven't any money
This is partytime
Oh, she might just possibly take me home

But she always talks so foolish
She always acts so dumb
Its only partytime

This is partytime
And its not polite for you to muck around
This is partytime
Naw, you know you'll only go home in a taxi and disgrace
This is partytime
And you know you won't be spending it here again
This is partytime
It's an exceptional way to make friends

But you always act so foolish
You always talk so dumb
But this is only partytime
It doesn't matter anymore
It isn't funny anymore
It's only partytime
Oh lord have mercy on all our souls


PS - Post title taken from the description of another version of "Partytime" on YouTube. I must now direct a concert film just so I can call it this.

0 comments: