Tuesday, November 2, 2010 The Dead Walk (On TV)


I don't have cable, so I had to catch the Halloween premiere of AMC's The Walking Dead on the downlow. While early buzz on the show was good, the opening episode should truly dispel any lingering doubts fans of the comics may have. Aside from the "light switch" speech, which was too long and poorly scripted, all of the changes from the source material were rock solid and heightened the sense of pathos and dread that define Kirkman's series. And it was surprisingly gory, though I couldn't help notice the modesty extended to even the most decomposed female zombies - even undead boobies are too dangerous for basic cable.

The show needs to be a different beast from the comic, if for no other reason than to keep the comic fans from anticipating every little plot point. It's clear that the show is in good hands, and I look forward to seeing how the new twists and turns play out.

I've heard through the geekvine that there's a theater in North Carolina showing the series "live" as it airs every Sunday. I would love the Brew N' View to do something similar.

0 comments: