Friday, July 15, 2011 John Carter Movie Trailer

I am a huge fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom series, so I was dreading the upcoming feature film. However, the first trailer is out and it looks surprisingly faithful to the source material:



I am actually enthused about seeing the movie now. The trailer indicates that the opening in the wild west and the prologue/epilogue with ERB and John Carter's tomb have been kept. Those are elements I would have expected to see jettisoned in any Hollywood adaptation of the property, and the fact that they weren't suggests that the filmmakers' have some love for the original books.

Now, faithfulness to the source is never an indication if a movie is any good or not. But it looks like I'll be able to judge the film on its own merits and not just sit there and nerdrage about jive-talkin' Tharks or something.

0 comments: