Thursday, September 11, 2008 Fletch Author Gregory McDonald Dead at 71

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992025.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

The first time I came across McDonald's work, I took a pass. It was the mid-70's and I was a grade-schooler who spent most of his summer vacation at the local library. I found a hardcover edition of Fletch in the Mystery section. There was no illustration on the dust jacket, just the first few paragraphs of the novel up to the point where Fletch agrees to kill a man. That turned Li'l Preterite off, as I assumed it indicated that the protagonist was another hard-bitten anti-hero who reveled in murder and mayhem. My mistake. My foolish, foolish mistake.

Years later, I saw and enjoyed the film version with Chevy Chase. That led me back to the source novels and their tightly-written plots laced with dry, cynical humor. I fell in love.

Of course, McDonald was also a renowned journalist and the author of many other novels, including works of serious fiction. While I never really warmed up to the Flynn series, I did enjoy his Skylar books. It seemed a much more comfortable fit for the author than his recent attempts to de-age (Fletch Won, Fletch Too) and/or clone (Son of Fletch, Fletch Reflected) his most famous creation.

If you only know Irwin Fletcher from the movies, I urge you to check out the books. And if you've already read a Fletch novel, then I'm sure you'll need no urging to raise a glass in memory of a fine author and journalist.

Links:
Gregory McDonald's Official Website

0 comments: