Saturday, October 31, 2009 Doctor Vincent - er, Stephen Strange


Since this year's Countdown had a bit of a Vincent Price theme, I thought I'd share some images that had been sitting on my hard drive for a couple of years. These are character sketches prepared by Marcos Martin for his work on Doctor Strange: The Oath . The miniseries was written by Brian K. Vaughn, author of Runaways, Pride of Baghdad, Ex Machina, and Y: the Last Man. While I wouldn't rate it as high as Vaughn's other works, The Oath is still a darn good read and worth picking up if you are a Dr. Strange fan.


As you can see, Martin has very clearly modeled Strange's likeness on that of Vincent Price. Some have speculated that Price's role in Roger Corman's The Raven was a major inspiration for Dikto and Lee when they created the good doctor back in 1963. Whether or not that's true, I think these images show that the spooky yet avuncular Price would have been perfectly cast as the Sorcerer Supreme.


Like every other Marvel property this side of Forbush Man, Doctor Strange is under development as a major motion picture. I really can't think of any contemporary actor I'd like to see play Strange. I guess I don't watch enough television. Let's just hope the producers don't go the Twilight route and hire some infant from the CW to play the part.

0 comments: